The Emergency Medical Technician performs basic emergency procedures and is able to monitor vital signs, perform basic cardiac life support and assist Nurses, Physicians, staff and patients.
- Implements basic ED treatment and procedures accurately and on timely basis, under direction of staff RN.
- Obtains and accurately records v/s (temp, b/p, pulse, respiratory rate); reports significant abnormalities immediately to RN staff.
- Assist patient on and off stretchers, helps moves patients from stretchers to X-Ray table, and transports patients appropriately as needed.
- Assist with positioning patients for exams procedures as requested.
- Completes patients care plan established by staff RN.
- Assist with examinations and procedures, application of cast, cold packs; performs aseptic techniques, suture removal, and stats and monitors IV infusion and reports observation to RN.
- Follows all safety standards in relation to patient care, lifting and protection from environmental hazards. Reports all injuries and unsafe practice to immediate supervisor. Reports all safety hazards to the safety committee.
- Demonstrates ability to carry out all assignments and procedures as offered according to policy and procedure manual.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and efficiently.
- Demonstrates team approaches, gives sense of helping others.
- Uses time effectively.
- Demonstrates awareness of the need for respecting the dignity and privacy of others.
- Utilizes measures to prevent infection
- Participates in hospital’s P. I., safety and infection control studies as assigned.
- Occasionally may require overtime.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
- Must be High School graduate or GED
- Graduate from an EMT training course and or 2 years minimum Acute Care ER Experience.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Current ACLS certification required.
- Current PALS certification required.
Experience and Training:
Six months to one year prior training and experience in all aspect of emergency medical services and thorough knowledge of emergency room practice.