- Responsibility in the preparation of surgically removed samples which will
be processed by the Pathologist during the Gross examination and later sent to the
Histology Reference Lab for processing.
- Prepare cassettes with the tissue from the Gross examination.
- File Blocks and slides.
- Handle surgically removed body parts and amputations for gross examination, processing and disposition.
- Handle bookkeeping, coding and billing for the Pathology Department
- Specific knowledge of Pathological Medical Terminology.
- Work in the environment of formalin, tissue biopsy fixative fluid, blood and human tissue.
- Computer skills.
- Send reports to Clinician offices, Hospitals and Clinics.
- Manage and maintain records and files pertaining to Pathology
- Track Samples that have been subpoenaed by the Courts.
- Assist the Pathologist with the equipment and utensils when he performs the Frozen
- Help maintain and clean the equipment including the Cryostat (Frozen Section) used in
Pathology and keep it in optimum condition and working properly.
- Notify and contact Pathology equipment maintenance companies in the event of
- Inventory, order and maintain adequate supplies for the proper functioning of the department.
- Retention and proper disposal of specimens removed at surgery and processed by Pathology.
- Proper handling of records, tissue blocks and slides and reports given to Recall Storage.
- Prepare specimens and shipments to be sent for Special Stains to out of state Reference
Laboratories or to Consultations.
High School graduate or equivalent: no license required.