To perform venipuncture on patients in an efficient and safe manner, and other duties as assigned or required.
- Responsible for efficiently and safely performing venipuncture on patients from acceptable sites
- Performs phlebotomy techniques in accordance with approved laboratory/hospital policies and procedures.
- Collects morning pickups for NPO patients and others with routine work ordered as assigned.
- Collects priority units and delivers to laboratory according to time designated for each unit.
- Collects STATS, timed specimens within established guidelines.
- Communicates with laboratory department regarding STATS and timed requests, procedures which require special handling and questions regarding test procedures.
- Coordinates special test draw requirements with appropriate lab personnel.
- Communicates emergency codes appropriately.
- Communicates results with reference labs and nursing areas regarding specimens, pending results and/or problems and documents appropriately.
- Participates in training of new personnel as assigned.
- Participates in CQI, safety and infection control studies as assigned.
- Follows the safety rules of the department and hospital.
- Follows special procedures such as isolation precautions.
- Demonstrate proper respect, attitude, courtesy, and professionalism and communication skills towards patients, staff, co-workers, doctors, administration personnel.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions, and understand technical information from supervisors, charts, reference books, manuals and labels.
- Uses personal judgment and specialized knowledge to give information to people.
- Communicates well. Speaks clearly and listens carefully.
- Adheres to policy and procedures as set forth by the hospital.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Ability to multitask.
- Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish)
Graduation from an accredited Phlebotomy program required.
Current Florida Phlebotomy license/certificate required.
Current CPR certification required.
Experience and Training:
Minimum of one year experience.