The Unit Secretary will provide support services to clinical staff and assist in the coordination of the activities and the functioning of the Unit. Will perform clerical functions of the Unit in an efficient and safe manner, and other duties as assigned or required. Responsible to compile, verify, type, and file records generated by the unit.
1. Uses a calm, friendly, business approach when communicating with patients, visitors physicians, and hospital staff.
2. Creates a calm, business atmosphere that promotes productivity and a positive corporate image, utilizing good public relation skills.
3. Answers telephones by identifying self and unit.
4. Avoid placing incoming calls on hold for prolonged periods by trying to locate individual, talking interim messages, and/or a name and a number to have the individual return the call as soon as possible.
5. Records incoming messages accurately and assures that message is given to the appropriate individuals in writing in a timely manner.
6. Takes all steps to convey emergency or urgent messages to the individuals as quickly as possible.
7. Maintains supplies for the unit (Med. & Stationary Supplies).
8. Verifies delivery of supplies, and reports to Charge Nurse any item ordered but not delivered.
9. Maintains file cabinets in order, ensures appropriate supplies are adequate.
10. Ensures that 1st. and 2nd. Opinion are filed in Court.
11. Calls, consults, make appointments, file lab and X-Ray reports, etc.
12. Transcribes medical orders to Kardex, sends faxes to Pharmacy and coordinates with the Charge Nurse
13. Check charts daily for completion (treatment plan, H&P, med consent, etc).
14. Completes assigned tasks and duties accurately in a timely manner.
15. Responsible for billing for services and recording of charges to patient=s chart for supplies which are utilized.
16. Maintains and keeps current assignments boards and other communication medium.
17. Identifies potential problems and consults with the Charge Nurse, Supervisor and Department head to advise of situations necessitating follow up
18. Participates in department quality assurance/quality improvement program as directed.
19. Adheres to department/hospital infection control standards according to established policies and procedures.
20. Adheres to department/hospital safety standards according to established policies and procedures.
21. Adheres to department/hospital risk management standards according to established policies and procedures.
22. Demonstrates ability to carry out all assignments and procedures as offered according to policy and procedure manual.
23. Manages and operates equipments safely and efficiently.
24. Keeps work area tidy and organized.
25. Keeps memo board and patient=s board organized.
26. Ensures that supply of medication, teaching and education tools are in adequate level.
27. Demonstrates team approaches, gives sense of helping others.
28. Uses time effectively.
29. Demonstrates awareness of the need for respecting the dignity and privacy of others.
30. Participates in hospital=s P.I., safety and infection control studies as assigned.
31. Occasionally may require overtime.
32. Performs other assigned duties as required.
Graduation from High School or have a GED
Experience and Training:
Minimum of one year experience in an office environment. Experience in an health care setting preferred.