To assist in the coordination of the activities and the functioning of the Department of Surgery. To perform clerical functions of the Department of Surgery in an efficient and safe manner, and other duties as assigned or required. Responsible to compile, verify, type, and file records of the Department of Surgery.
- Creates a calm, business atmosphere that promotes productivity and a positive corporate image, utilizing good public relation skills.
- Uses a calm, friendly, business approach when communicating with patients, visitor’s physicians, and hospital staff.
- Answers telephones by identifying self and unit.
- Avoid placing incoming calls on hold for prolonged periods by trying to locate individual, talking interim messages, and/or a name and a number to have the individual return the call as soon as possible.
- Records incoming messages accurately and assures that message is given to the appropriate individuals in writing in a timely manner.
- All efforts are made to convey emergency or urgent messages to the individuals as quickly as possible.
- Orders on a bi-weekly basis warehouse supplies according to O.R. par level and assure that orders are co-signed by the Director of the Department of Surgery.
- Verifies delivery of supplies, and reports to the Director of the Department of Surgery any item ordered but not delivered.
- Completes assigned tasks and duties accurately in a timely manner.
- Responsible for charging of patient supplies which are utilized.
- Maintains and keeps current assignments boards and other communication skills.
- Demonstrates initiative in completing daily assignments to fulfill positions requirements.
- Identifies potential problems and consults with the Director of the Department of Surgery to advise of situations necessitating follow up
- Schedules special procedures and X – Ray daily, and surgical cases until 5:00pm
- Enters Patient=s name and charges in log book on a daily basis.
- Takes surgical book to nursing office in the afternoon.
- Leave board ready for the next day.
- Demonstrate proper respect, attitude, courtesy, and professionalism and communication skills towards patients, staff, co-workers, doctors, administration personnel.
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to carry out oral and written instructions, and understand technical information from supervisors, charts, reference books, manuals and labels.
- Uses special medical skills to care for the sick or handicapped.
- Uses personal judgment and specialized knowledge to give information to people.
- Communicates well. Speaks clearly and listens carefully.
- Adheres to policy and procedures as set forth by the hospital.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Assists patient and their families in their needs.
- Ability to multitask.
Graduation from High School or have a GED
Experience and Training:
Minimum of one year experience in an office environment. Experience in a health care setting preferred.